So we continue to experience the highs and lows of the dreaded time of life: POTTY TRAINING. I sometimes wonder if God created this time in life to really start the true training in patience and love since poop in diapers is one thing but poop in underwear is just a whole new level of GROSS. We have tried and tried to negotiate with the dynamic duo with stickers, treats, toys, money but for some reason, it just does not work over the long term. We had such a great weekend last weekend in potty training. Nathan had just finished one of the "I tried Mommy" sessions with no production and we were playing Russian roulette by allowing him to run around naked. He all of the sudden looked up over the couch and said "I've got to go POTTY!!" He runs in the bathroom and is crouching down on the floor and that seems like a very bad position so I grab him and thow him up on the throne and BLASTOFF! Will and I did the best potty dance ever! Christopher was very jealous so he was hurrying Nathan off the pot so he could also produce a Mr. Stinky and get Mommy and Daddy to dance like absolute maniacs over poo. He pushed so hard his face was beat red. Will and I could barely keep a straight face. We still danced for his pee though so he was happy. Then later in the week, Christopher sat on the potty after dinner and asked Will to read to him. After getting through half the book, he did it too. We laughed that Christopher is such a male because he needs to read a book to poop.
So here we are a week later with no more huge potty dances. We seem to be slowing down on our excitement for the potty for some reason but they really do love the underwear. This morning we started with underwear like big boys again with great hopes that today would be the "breakthrough day" that all veterans of this wonderful time in life tell me about. Today was not the day and by far went to the gross zone. Nathan had tried and tried to do the stinky this morning with no production. He promised me he would tell me when "it was ready". After cleaning up all the blue and red jello that he had smeared all over the kitchen wall this morning (I have no idea why he thought this was a good idea this morning) I went upstairs to see what they were up to. Both boys got very quiet as I walked up the stairs which is a huge sign that something is very very wrong. Nathan gave me the look that told me I have a nasty mess to deal with. Sure enough, he had an accident. I peeled off all the clothes and threw him in the bathtub. He was not happy to see his underwear went directly in the trash. Stronger women would have washed the nasty out of the underwear but I have to confess I am weak and I will give up 3 pairs of shoes before doing that. Yuck.
So poor Nathan is sitting in the tub all sad about losing his cool underwear. Christopher walks by and looks into the tub that is pretty nasty and decided to help by saying, "I am NOT getting in that!!" He is so helpful. Unfortunately, they both moved further down the failed potty training day by deciding it was funny to pee in their pants vs going on the potty. That was the end and back to the diapers we went.
I just hope by the age of 25 we have finally found the promised land: the "breakthrough day" that we hope for on a daily basis so we can finally be free of the diapers. My mom suggested that maybe we should try the kitty litter. Will said that unfortunately, it will probably work like a charm and the boys will really enjoy going in the kitty litter. I guess it is back to the drawing board and we will just keep trying.
Monday, October 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Just wait. stop pushing them. One day they will wake up and say, underwear please. Until then, diapers work for them. Honestly I as a mom perfered that too, cause otherwise you have to find the bathroom twice as much when out and about.
Good point. I guess we shouldn't worry until they are getting ready for a date and still in diapers. hahaha :-)
I'm in the Meagan camp on this one...our twins were "late" trainers, but not for lack of trying. We started when they were 2 1/2 and didn't actually have them completely trained until right around the time they turned FOUR. Longest 18 months of my LIFE...but that "breakthrough day" was truly amazing. If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of headaches.
Oh, and I was in the "throw the underwear away" zone, too...mainly because the #2 theory just didn't click with my boy early on and he had no trouble sitting in a mess, which of course just made it messier. I think we kept Fruit of the Loom in business that year.
This really does make me feel better. Thank you!!
Post a Comment