Monday, March 12, 2012
It's a secret!!
So it is currently 2:15am and I am sitting here with Nathan since he is probably wired from the antihistamine in his cough syrup. He came down with some nasty little bug today which gave him a nice cough, gagging, vomiting from coughing so hard and a fever. The standard gunk that they seem to get periodically from school or just life in general. So here we are, Nathan is watching Cars 2 and building a lego village and I am posting a blog. At least we are both productive in the wee hours of the night. Note: he just asked me what time I will be done with my I Pad since he would like to be productive on this....by playing games of course. I never in my wild dreams thought I would be competing for an I Pad with a 3 year old. That just seems strange, even now. Also, here is my disclaimer...any typos, rambling, poor grammar etc. can all be attributed to my burning glassy eyes. (it is nice to have that as an excuse)
So to the title of this blog: It's a secret. I learned a very important lesson tonight which basically is nothing new in this ongoing training of parenthood. Here is my lesson #4,000,000,001 of my 31/2 years of being a parent: never tell a toddler a secret and expect him to keep it. :-)
Here is the story: So usually when one of the boys are sick, I have to kick into the psycho mommy and have them sleep in our room so I can check on them during the night. Since Nathan had been sick all day and I had to use the nebulizer on him a few times today, I knew it was going to be a helicopter mom night. Nathan asked me as we were climbing the stairs for bathtime tonight if he was going to sleep in our room. I guess he has figured out the pattern. I told him, "yes, but I will come get you after Christopher falls asleep so he does not get scared. Just remember, this is a secret so do not tell your brother I will come get you". He agreed to keep our little secret. All was well in the bath and we read our stories, listed our blessings, and said our prayers. Nathan was in a hurry to go to bed and was pushing Christopher to climb in the tent to go to bed. (yep, Santa made them a special Cars tent that sits on the queen mattress that they share...they love it and usually go to bed without any fuss so mommy and daddy love it also). Christopher decided he was not tired and was fighting bedtime tonight. Here is my SOAP box: the time change. UGH....all I can say is that whoever came up with the concept of spring forwards and fall backwards never ever had children. It is brutal.
Back to our story: as we are finishing prayers and Christopher is telling us he is not tired yet, Nathan decides all bets are off. He tells Christopher: "You have to go to sleep since Mommy is coming up to get me as soon as you are asleep" Will and I about lost it. We knew trouble had found us and there was no way of getting out of this one.
Christopher has pulled a new stunt both last night and tonight: sneaking downstairs and hiding in our bed after we put him to bed. He loves to suprise us and we have got to break this little game. Well, as you can guess, Nathan was not impressed since he knew he needed to get Christopher to sleep. Will took them both back upstairs and then we could hear Nathan again telling Christopher that he must go to sleep so Mommy can come get him since he is sleeping with mommy and daddy. UNBELIEVABLE!! :-) Nathan then again comes downstairs and wispers to Will "Christopher is upstairs" Will: "Nathan, is Christopher asleep". Nathan: "No daddy, he just will not go to sleep". Will took Nathan back upstairs which really ticked Nathan off. One of Nathan's "gifts" he has acquired or developed is that he can make himself vomit when he is upset. Well, he was doing his little face that we now recognize when the volcano is going to blow during a fit. Will warned him not to vomit on his monkey pillow since he was just going to throw it away. Nathan then turns towards the bed and vomits all over the bed. Well, since we do not have another mattress protector, the decision was made to allow them both to come camp out in our room. As the beds were all being set up in our bedroom Christopher says, "So, if we throw up on our bed we can sleep in Mommy and Daddy's room?" WOW! Are you kidding me? The wheels are really turning and Will and I are in some serious trouble. We have their number now. Next time, no camping in Mommy and Daddy's room....I am buying a second mattress protector this week. Joke will be on them and I can claim a small victory. I do have to say, my little guys did teach me a big lesson tonight: never ever ever tell a toddler a secret and expect him to keep it. :-)
So now it is 2:35am and we are 30 minutes into Cars 2 for the 45,000 time. I am using my jedi mind tricks to hopefully convince him to go to sleep. Maybe the rhythmic sound of the typing will also help. ;-)
Looking forward to the sunrise since I probably will be awake to see it. :-)
Robin....one tired mommy but a little wiser
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment