Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Welcome to the Li House of Snot

Our poor little boys have been suffering from their first full blown cold and it has not been fun. Technically they both had little colds when they were about 3 months old but looking back on that experience, we have decided it wasn't really a "real cold". This upper respiratory gunk they have picked up has been nasty and terribly hard on them. Poor little Nathan has been fighting a fever for almost a full week. He slept with us...well he slept for about 30 minutes and then would scream for about an hour the first two nights. Will and I were pretty scared. It is just so hard when he can't tell us what is hurting!! He has now turned the corner and Christopher is peaking with his symptoms. I took Nathan into the pediatrician late last week and found out not only was he suffering from a virus but he is cutting at least 3 if not 4 molars. When it rains it pours. NO WONDER he was so crabby!! It is hard to be 15 months old!! I do have to say....I never knew such cute little babies could create so much snot! I still can't get them to blow their nose...it would be so much better than the booger snatcher. It has been very interesting to watch Christoper deal with his cold. He is always running 1000mph through the house. We have decided this cold has only slowed him down about 10% or so. He still finds the energy to chase the cat and find ways to get in trouble.

Speaking of Christopher...he is so close to talking! He is saying bye and kitty (pronounced "itty")along with Mamma and Dadda but he has not been very consistent with the new words. Nathan has mainly said Mamma and Dadda and maybe "itty" a few times. Nathan does have his new trick: We thought he was dancing but he has actually picked up the "scadoo" that he has seen on Blues Clues. For the Blues Clues fans this is when they sing "Blue scadoos we can too". Nathan will spin around and fall on the ground with a huge grin. It is absolutely hilarious.

Christopher has decided that he loves to help put the broom away after I sweep up the 100's of Cheerios after each meal. I can just give him the broom and he will take it back to the closet where it belongs. It is just so cool and he is so proud. They both also know how to "feed" the cat. They will go and get the can of food out of the pantry and put the can right where the cat eats. They do not understand that the can needs to be open. I have had to construct "no no zones" out of blue tape around the cat food since they both love to grab huge handfuls of the dry food. We have now trained the boys not to cross the blue lines in the "no no zone". Failure to follow these rules leads to time in the "time out zone" which is now our pack and play which has taken up permanent residence in our formal dining room. Man our house looks WAY different from even a year ago!! We thought we could keep all the kids toys etc. upstairs and keep the first floor fairly "normal". Now that the boys are mobile and running everywhere that has become impossible. So just as a warning, if you come by our house, watch your step since I think there is a toy every third step. It is AWESOME!!!

Back to our illness woes:
Will and I have been mastering violating the boys with the rectal thermometer. Somehow I thought there would be a possibility I would never have to do that but once the ear thermometer was reading high it was time to suck it up and check the temperature correctly. Early in the week Nathan was so sick he didn't even care. Now he is getting a little tired of it so checking the temp is getting to be a challenge. Will has also come down with this nasty virus and luckily he has not asked me to check his temperature rectally since I am such a pro now. Ok, so I am disgusting and you all just got a great visual...sorry.
So we are slowly climbing out of the respiratory virus snot world and hopefully Christopher and Will can kick this by the weekend. Will has decided he would like to put the boys in a bubble or just put them under house arrest so the boys will not have to suffer through this again. I guess the bright side is that they will not have this particular cold again. There are over 200 identified strains of the cold virus and they have 2 down....many more to go!

I hope everyone reading this is healthy!! I hope to have a few more posts before Christmas but just in case I run out of time: Have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Love
Robin, Will, Nathan, and Christopher

No comments: