Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Chronicles of Potty Training: the journey continues

We have finally climbed the steep potty training mountain!  Despite all the set backs, the frustrations, the discarded underwear, and the tears from the boys and from mommy....Nathan finally went to school today in big boy underwear and made it through the day with NO ACCIDENTS!  What a proud day for all of us, especially Nathan.  He has just taken off with this new found independence the last few weeks and seems to have completed his journey to officially becoming a "big boy".  Christopher has been doing a great job improving in this area but has not been as excited as he was when we first started this adventure.  He seems to be more excited that Nathan is successful. He loves to scream through the house that "NATHAN USED THE POTTY ALL BY HIMSELF!!!"  I do have to report Christopher now has decided to ask us first if he is in a pullups or underwear.  We have figured out he is just deciding if he really has to stop playing to go to the potty or if he can just do his business while he continues to do whatever he is doing.  So, as you can guess, I now just always tell him he is in underwear even if he is in pullups.  My son is way too smart for my stunts though. His next response is "I better check".  Jig is up then and 9 times out of 10, if he has pullups on, he has an accident.  You might be wondering why I just do not keep him in underwear all the time then.  I have to honestly say, I am just not too excited about cleaning up the mess. He did strip down at the dinner table the other night and pee right on the floor. We are still in shock over this one.  I put on the mean mommy hat and made him clean it up "all by himself".  Luckily the stripping/spraying has stopped at least for now so it is safe to come over for dinner if you were worried.   I do have to say, Christopher has a knack for one liners and when he does have an accident he will put on his sweet little face and sweetly say "I'll try again next time".  It just melts your heart and he really knows how to work us since he still manages to get the sticker at night for having a good potty day even with the accident. oops We need to get stronger.

I do have to say as the now ONLY female in the house, my complete lack of understanding of the male species becomes more apparent every day.  Back to the potty training: Nathan has a difficult time staying focused and finds a way to spray the walls.  Really?  I just do not think girls would have that problem. I don't.  TMI I know.  Just to stay in that area: why do all males think it is so funny to pass gas?  If the cats could laugh, I think they would also giggle whenever they pass gas just because they are male also. The boys will laugh and then say "I smell somebody".  Funny at home, not so funny in public.  We also need to figure out how to curb their enthusiasm about making a stinky in the potty in public since they come back from the bathroom and scream "MOMMY!!! I STINKIED IN THE POTTY!!!!"  At least so far everyone just smiles and moves on.  One day I am sure someone eating their dinner will not be so impressed.

So as you can see, we have had a lot of frustrating moments, funny moments, and great milestones with the potty training. I am sure this journey is not over quite yet but we just continue to purchase a lot of bleach for the artwork on the walls and also just laugh at some of the crazy things we continue to experience with our wonderful little guys.

PS: Dear Mr. Murphy (just in case lost you this is for Murphy's Law) : Please do not strike because I am bragging about the sucess so far  :-)

2 comments:

pchang said...

"Luckily the stripping/spraying has stopped at least for now so it is safe to come over for dinner if you were worried. "

whew! i was worried there for a bit. haha I'm glad they're exciting and CONGRATULATIONS TO NATHAN!!!! :DD

M said...

LOL... Put underwear on him under the pullup. That way he is in underwear, and it is still uncomfortable to be wet but you don't have a mess.

LOL, we still get knowing looks and move ons too... but every once in a while you also get the, man, I remember those days looks... which aren't always bad. These are the days you and I will miss someday you know.