Sunday, September 20, 2009

12 Month Checkup

About a year ago we brought our helpless little angels into the pediatrician's office and left after at least one injection for each baby. Well, some things have not changed over this year. I am amazed at the number of shots these little guys have had to go through but I am also very thankful modern medicine offers a much better protection against some of the terrible diseases that once killed many people. Friday was another one of those visits to the pediatricians office where the boys again had to face the needle. I can honestly say the dynamic duo are brave little guys and only fuss for just a second or so. One thing that has really changed from that first pediatrician visit is how much our little guys move around!! The boys were running all over the room exploring and discovering the doctor's stool would roll clear across the room. Gone are the days of laying the little babies on the examining table and not worrying about them rolling off. Now the boys will stand up on the exam table and JUMP off!! I am a little concerned..sometimes I really wonder if these children have any fear at all.
The boys received a very good report from the pediatrician. They are both weighing in at 20lbs, with a few ounces to spare. Christopher outweighs his brother by 2 oz: Christopher 20lbs 4 oz and Nathan 20lbs 2 oz. Christopher is currently 2 inches taller than his brother but I am sure this will change periodically. They are both in the 50th percentile which apparently is good. I still think this percentile thing is a little strange but I am not a pediatrician so what do I know. haha
Will and I both chuckled a little when the pediatrician asked us if the boys were pulling themselves up on the furniture since they passed that stage about 2 months ago. We then set them down in the exam room and off they went! I think that answered his question on how much they are moving. :-) We then suffered through the injections and the boys are safe from the needle for another month until they have to get the second flu shot. I guess we just have to get accustomed to this since there are many more immunizations to come!
On Saturday we discovered a very entertaining place for the boys...ROOMS TO GO! It was fairly slow in there and the boys quickly discovered how much open space there was to explore. Luckily our sales lady had two sets of twins herself (all now grown) and was very happy to see them running like little wild men all over the place. I always thought I wouldn't be one of those parents who let their kids explore public areas for some reason. As usual, there is egg on my face since it was too much fun watching them practice their drunk walking between each sofa display.
As you can see, our weekend was not full of excitement but full of screaming kids and laughter. I do have to share a great story from last weekend. I have spared all our faithful readers any pooh stories for quite some time but my "clean" streak is about to come to an end. Here we go and hold on to your nose:
So last Sunday we were scheduled for outdoor family pictures. Unfortunately it was raining so it was cancelled. We decided to load up the boys had head out to breakfast since we were all dressed and had no where to go. We started down the interstate and the car got a little stinky. This is not unusual but when I looked back I couldn't believe what I was seeing...Nathan had a little brown mouse hanging out by his leg...wait that isn't a mouse!! I told Will to pull over immediately before the finger painting started but we were on the interchange and it was way too dangerous to pull over. I look back again and he is calmly sucking his thumb and I see pooh all over that hand. BARF!!! We finally got pulled over and had a wipe bath and a nice change of clothes. (Thank God we had loaded a change of clothes in the diaper bag at some time in the last few months) All we could do is laugh and pray that he didn't get any of that nastiness in his mouth....oh yeah...and open the windows to air out the car. Christopher asked me later to make sure he did not have to sit in the poop seat anytime soon. :-)
So that is the pooh story for today. I am sure you all enjoyed the visual. :-)
Have a great week!!
Love
Robin, Will, Nathan, and Christopher

No comments: