So as you can guess, Will and I have absolutely no idea how to start this potty training stuff. We have been given tons of great advice and both of us have read tons of info on this challenge. It seems like there is really not a real magical moment when you know a child is ready to tackle this. So, we just took the plunge and bought a cute little Elmo potty seat for the big toilet and just turned it into a game with absolutely no pressure. The boys are a little young to really master this and we are very aware of this. We figured it would be fun to just introduce this new excitement and let the boys let us know if they are interested.
One of the new tricks the boys have really mastered is shaking their heads no and nodding a very big "yes" when they are asked questions. This has been wonderful since it has really opened up our communication with the boys. It also can get a little frustrating since they both now have very strong opinions on what type of food they want to eat, where they want to go, etc. For this potty fun it has been great! We just ask them if they want to go sit on the potty and they give us the big yes nod. They really seem to enjoy hanging out with Elmo and checking out the sites from the throne. Our big breakthrough tonight was that after weeks of practicing sitting on the potty before their bath, Christopher finally did pee!! He seemed pretty excited and wanted to go back and try it again later. I know, this is only step 1 in a very long process but it was an exciting night!! (man how things change when you have kids haha)
The boys are now fighting nonstop which I have been told is normal. There is a little jealousy between them and we are moving into the stage where they love to pester each other. We went on a wagon ride today and I had to stop and lecture them about staying on their side three different times since Nathan continued to put his feet on Christopher's knees...leading to some wonderful screeches from Christopher. I had some flashbacks to when Brian and I would fight over the space in the backseat. I always did get revenge by putting wet cold strings in his ear when he was sleeping. :-) I think that is one story I will not share with the boys when they are older since that will lead to yet another fight once someone wakes up from a cold wet string tickling his ear. hahaha
Well, we will continue our journey with the potty training tomorrow!!
Have a great rest of the week!
Love
Robin, Will, Christopher, and Nathan
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
how exciting!! haha
wouldn't wet string be bad for his ears though? or were they just wet and not dripping?
I guess it didn't leave any serious damage...Brian turned out ok. I will just tell that story to his kids when they are older so they can torture each other :-)
What a big event! The boys are getting so big I can't believe it. Congrats on being an Aunt and Uncle!!!
Post a Comment