Thursday, July 8, 2010

Grandpa Larry is 60!!!!

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Kansas to celebrate Grandpa's 60th birthday. This is actually the third trip to Kansas for the boys but since they were only 2 months and 5 months old, this was the first trip which they were able to enjoy the big airplanes, big trucks, shuttles, etc.

Before having kids, Will and I were the couple who would notice any family hauling little kids onto the plane and pray they didn't sit anywhere near us. Now we are that couple with the two toddlers everyone dreads. Just to lighten the mood, as we walked on to the plane, I even announced with a big smile...."Yep, here we are...I know everyone is hoping we do not sit close to you!!" Everyone just started laughing since I guessed exactly what they were thinking.

The boy's Auntie Susan gave us wonderful little backpacks for baby gifts which have leashes on them. They were PERFECT! The boys felt like they were given a little freedom but once they took off...we could keep them close by. Having the little dog and monkey as the backpacks made them look even cuter so if we did annoy someone, they couldn't stay mad for too long right? :-)

In general, the boys did a great job on the flights. They both got a little stir crazy towards the end of the 2nd leg on the way out to Kansas, but who doesn't after waiting forever to finally taxi out in Atlanta to begin the flight. Atlanta is a zoo. Christopher was the first to discover the window shades and the lights above the seats. Will did a great job keeping him from hitting the attendant button so we didn't get in trouble with the "Delta Police".

We had a wonderful time with Grandma and Grandpa. The boys were able to go to the zoo twice since G&G live 10 minutes from the zoo. They really are responding to the animals and repeating animal names...especially giraffes...which seems to be one of their favorite animals. The boys also had the opportunity to ride on Grandpa's boat three times. The first time Christopher seemed to go a little stir crazy since he doesn't sit long. After he spent the afternoon "helping" grandpa vacuum the boat, I guess he felt he was the co-captain since he was just dying to get back on the boat. The shades were closed when he got up one morning and he freaked since he couldn't see the boat. He hasn't figured out window shades yet.

The boys also had the opportunity to meet their new cousin, Cooper. Cooper is about 3 months old and was introduced to Blues Clues and he really looked like he would do anything to jump off mom or dad's lap and play with the boys. All in good time! Flash forward a few years from now and it is going to wild at Grandma and Grandpa's house when the boys are old enough to wrestle, climb trees, take the boat out for a joy ride in the middle of the night...and many things I am sure I can not even imagine.

We are struggling a little bit to get back on a schedule. Will and I both got about 2 hours of sleep last night since the boys decided sleep was not important. They are both cutting some molars so this does not help. As I have said before, these molars are brutal. I am hoping we are almost through this teething stuff and I think the boys would agree with me. Nathan just finished a two hour scream fest (screaming Momma as loud as he could....it was breaking my heart). I hesitate to report right now both are asleep so I am about ready to crash as well. The minute I fall asleep the screaming will probably resume. Sleep is over rated right?

Signing off for now.
Have a great night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It will take a couple days for boys to get back their routine schedule after the trip since they had a lot of fun in Kansas. Hang in there.