Thursday, March 3, 2011

Whatcha Doin???

I was always warned that toddlers start asking "why" nonstop. Well, luckily we have not hit that stage but we are getting our taste of what is to come. The dynamic duo have decided it is important to ask Will and I "whatcha doin??" over and OVER and OVER. We keep answering them with the same info but for some reason, that doesn't work. I am wondering if I should start making up wild answers just to see what the expressions will be. One thing I have learned in this ongoing journey of parenthood: kids this age do not understand sarcasm nor do they understand common sayings we all understand. I know...you are currently thinking; DUH! Well, I am a little slower than the average ape in this parenting business so sometimes you just have to hang with me. :-) One of many examples: I was telling Nathan the other day he could have a certain toy if he put his books away. He refused to do it so I put the books away. He then of course wanted the toy and I told him, "No Nathan. You blew it". He gave me this strange confused look and walked over to the books and started blowing air at them. I about hit the floor. He now must think it is a funny trick since he has walked up to his dresser where his books are and huffs and puffs air at them and looks over at me to see my reaction. Oh brother. :-)

Will was just commenting on how quickly the weeks go by. I second that. We always laugh when we think back to life before kids (B.K.) and how busy we thought we were. I honestly do not know what we did all the time. OH YEAH...I think we actually got some sleep! :-) The boys are now starting to fight bedtime with asking for water, jumping on the bed, attempting the great escape by slamming toys against their gate, and wrestling in whichever bed seems cool. The main hang out pad right now at night seems to be Nathan's bed. It is quite entertaining to watch. Nathan has also taken up playing the harmonica. One night while I was working in the kitchen and they were supposed to be in bed...all the sudden a little song started up. It was pretty fun to listen to him create his song and actually he is pretty good for a 2& 1/2 year old!! Most nights they finally will calm down and go to bed after multiple visits from mommy or daddy. A reasonable person would think that since they fought bedtime and stayed up later that they would sleep in. Wrong answer! These guys continue to wake up at 5:45am or 6:00am and start the wrestling all over again. I do have to admit, it is pretty cool to wake up to crazy laughter. I dread the day when someone gets thrown off the bed and we hear the loud thump followed by an ear piercing scream. I am guessing just having two boys that love to wrestle indicates this will eventually happen. I guess I will try and worry about it after it happens vs. now. I do have to say...Christopher seems to have the upper hand on Nathan right now. He is just a little bigger and manages to get Nathan pinned pretty quickly. We were trying to get them to "tap out" so this wrestling game didn't turn into a huge fight. Unfortunately that plan is not working and we have to get in the middle of these little matches to break it up. While they are 2 years old, that is fine....when they are 15 years old and bigger than me....they can work it out between them.

A few weeks ago my folks were able to come for the week and escape the terrible winter wonderland of Kansas. The boys just loved spending time with them and each night they talk about Grandma and Papa. I think that is the best part of their increased communication skills: we now know what is going on in those little heads. The boys are definitely going to be looking forward to seeing their grandparents again. :-)

These little guys are such loving little boys who love to laugh and play. What an amazing gift to be part of their lives. We will post some pictures soon!

1 comment:

M said...

lol.... you guys must ask them whatcha doing ALOT! We do make up the awsers sometimes and it is worth it to see the reaction.

If you don't want them in the habit of bringing you back in the room a lot, then ignore the requests.... or intentionally go to them and tell them no. They eventually give up and just stay in their room....