So as Will and I were discussing the idea of becoming parents, I always had this little fear....how will I handle it when one of my children get sick? I failed miserably when our dog, Bailey, was getting sick. I would start gagging and have to bail while Will would take care of everything. Well, God decided it was time to test my mommy skills Saturday night.
DISCLAIMER: For readers who have weak stomachs, you may want to consider skipping this post. However, if you are into watching car wrecks, this post is for you.
Will had a function for business that evening so I stayed home with the boys and initially the night was normal. The boys drank their milk, played a little, and it seems our last nightly ritual is turning all attention on mommy...headbutting and giggling, pulling at my nose, ears, hair, and mouth. I sometimes feel like I am their test dummy. How hard can we pull before something pops off of mommy? haha. Luckily I have just lost a few strands of hair, ears, nose and eyes are intact as I write this. By the way, do girls do this also or is this just a boy thing????
So anyways, off we went to brush our teeth and things went terribly bad. I brushed Nathan's teeth and put him down to repeat the ritual for Christopher. Nathan started screaming as loud as he could and then my worst fear....he starting vomiting all over the bathroom. I never knew so much stuff could come out of someone so tiny. It was like the scene from the Exorcist...minus his head spinning of course, although my head was probably close to spinning. I stood there in absolute horror as my child erupted from his nose and mouth..thank God at least his ears weren't shooting this horrible fluid. :-) Christopher started to cry since he was probably wondering why his brother just blew up. It is impossible for me to carry two 20+ pound children now so I had to think quick. The best idea I could come up with was sealing off the disgusting bathroom and going back to the bathtub. I stripped Nathan down and the minute I pulled his diaper off, he peed all over the bathroom. This is when I started to pray...I really needed some divine intervention at this point. As we all know, God has a good sense of humor and apparently he wanted to remind me of this. I had decided just to bathe Christopher again as well since I was not sure if he was hit with Nathan's puke or not. I started to take his diaper off and he apparently was now suffering from the runs. I now had poop all over my hand, a screaming child in the bathtub, pee all over the floor and no more hands. I wrapped Christopher back up in his diaper and told him to wait just a second. Luckily, my little man was understanding since he just stood there patiently while I bathed Nathan again.
We finally got through the bedtime ritual and Christopher was more than willing to go down. (Note, I did change his diaper immediately after Nathan's bath). After a water bottle and a bottle of milk, Nathan finally went down. I made it through the cleanup without even feeling sick, just very tired. I guess I have made it through one of my first mommy tests. I'm sure it won't be the last time I am covered in puke, poop and pee. The boys woke up with big smiles in the morning though so all is well. :-)
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Do you know what caused all that?
So sorry you had to go through that, but I really do believe it's like a right of passage for mommies. My kids weren't sick like that very often, and very rarely both at the same time (thankfully), but I learned very quickly that the bathtub is a blessing. Whenever a kid gets sick, get them to the bathtub immediately!!! At least cleanup is easier that way.
Oh, and by the way, the "let's pick on Mom" routine is definitely not limited to boys. Meg was just as interested in picking on me as Jeremy was at that stage.
I hope the boys are feeling better now, and that you're on the road to recovery...I know firsthand how traumatizing that kind of experience can be. Hang in there, Momma!
Patricia was sick a couple weeks ago... She didn't go to school for almost a week.
Hopefully, the boys are doing well now.
Post a Comment